[Sca-cooks] back to food was PETA

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Sat Jan 17 23:07:14 PST 2004

And here I go again, not going upstairs to bed...

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Phlip wrote:

> Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
> > Well, yeah, but Ulfr was talking about contaminating the meat by it coming
> > in contact with the *wool*.
> >
> > I know in commercial production they shear the sheep to make butchering
> > easier (or so a friend of mine assures me--she's into both fiber and
> > toxicology). Does it make as much of a difference when it's by hand, as it
> > were?
> >
> > Margaret
>
> Kinda depends on how long the wool is. You wouldn't ask someone with a crew
> cut to tie up their hair working in a kitchen, but you might ask someone
> with long(er) hair to do so, longer being a matter of judgement.
>
> Personally, I never have, but all the sheep I've butchered had fairly short
> coats. At the Pennsic class, though, one lady busily cut the hair from the
> pelt while the rest of us were cutting up the meat- dunno if she got enough
> to spin- didn't discuss it with her after that..
>
> But, I could definitely see doing it, if it was long enough- after all, a
> fleece is a commodity too.
>
> Saint Phlip,
> CoDoLDS

Ok, so if you intend to preserve the hide with full fleece, how would you
go about the butchering? IKEA has some lovely sheep peelings with nice
thick *white* fleece, but they're fairly narrow, so I'm guessing that they
get pretty aggressively trimmed before they get tanned.

Margaret