[Sca-cooks] Blodplättar

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Sun Jan 18 05:31:42 PST 2004

Ana Valdés <agora at algonet.se> [2004.01.18] wrote:
> Sara Lidman, one of Swedens best contemporary writers, is almost eightie
> years old. She has grown up in Norrland, the north part of Sweden, where
> the aboriginal people Sames lived. She has written about "pitepaltor",
> or "blodpaltor", which was one of her childhoods delicacy.
> But I don't find any recipee about how to make them.

There is recipies in:

 Marianne Sandberg
  Våra svenska matrötter: Mat & Kultur i Skansenmiljö
  Svenska Dagbladet (1990)
  ISBN: 91-7738-249-8

For 20-25 small paltar:
10-12 average sized potaoes
approx. 1 dl milk (replace with blood if you prefer the blood-version)
1 T salt
3 dl barley flour
3 dl white wheat flour

[for the blood version it is specified that you should use rye flour "as
well", I have now idea if this was instead of all the other flour, or as
part of it; the text is unclear]

Filling:
300 g finely diced "bacon" (sidfläsk, i.e. slabs rather then rashers)

For boiling:
3-4 l water
1 T salt

Grate the raw potatoes. Pour off the liquid that is formed and replace
with milk. Make a lose dought of potatoes, wheat and barley flour. Do
not use all the four at once. The dough is supposed to be looe and
sticky. Place it ona floured platter in slamm piles, and on each place a
small amount of diced bacon. Cover your hands with flour and quickly
form the palts into balls. While you are doing this the water is brought
to a boil in a large pot. Add salt and lower a few of the palts at a
time into the water. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 1 hour.
Remove with a performated ladle. Best eaten warm with melted butter and
lingberry jam. Can be froozen.