[Sca-cooks] buckwheat?

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 19 10:50:40 PST 2004

He's never had buckwheat pancakes. He's never had soba noodles. He's
never had kasha... (Ah! That's what I'll have for lunch...)  Or at
least, if he has, he doesn't know it...  It looks gray and unappetizing,
but has an assertive taste many people love.

Buckwheat is not wheat. It's actually a grass, I think... I've seen back
and forth arguments about whether or not it is officially a grain, and
don't know enough to hold forth myself.

Served as groats, it is used in the Russian dish kasha. Take the groats,
stir in egg, cook in a skillet until the egg is cooked and coats each
groat, add broth and cook until done. You can add egg noodles,
traditionally little bow noodles, for Kasha Varnishekes, which, around
here at least, is traditionally Jewish. And very good...

Ground into flour, it is used in Traditional American Cooking mostly for
pancakes. Usually mixed with wheat flour, good flavor.

Ground into flour, it is used in Japan for soba noodles. Those are the
thin gray ones. They're used a lot in soup, considered a bit less
elegant than somen, the thin wheat ones, and about the same as udon, the
thick wheat ones. I strongly prefer soba, as they have more flavor and
don't get soggy. They are also the ones used in cold noodle dishes,
served with dipping sauces.

All this is modern cooking. Certainly it was used in the middle ages,
it's been around a long time, but I have no idea where or for what.

AEllin