[Sca-cooks] Munchies for a Tisch

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 13:05:05 PST 2004

In a message dated 1/19/2004 2:45:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
zkessin at cs.brandeis.edu writes:

<<Ok So does anyone have any good ideas for munchies to be served at a
Shabbat Tisch? Ie period finger foods that can be Kosher. My lady
(Giovana) and I are hosting a party at my flat this Shabbat to celebrate
the fact that we just got engaged.>>

Well, congratulations!

I don't know much from kosher other than no pork, not combining meat and
dairy, and buying kosher ingredients :-)
but I do know that many period pies can be made in small, hand-size portions
by making them in a mini-muffin tin or as small turnovers.  Therefore,
anything you would find acceptable as a pie filling would work for this - well, if
you wanted a custard, you'd have to use the mini-muffin tin, as it wouldn't work
as a turnover, but...

Where do eggs fall in the kosher classification?  It's probably possible to
find a variety of pies and cakes that use eggs as a binder, but may not need a
dairy product as well.  That would allow meat pies and possibly some fruit or
vegetable bases if you want savory things, whereas most of the sweet pies that
I know of are custards and usually include dairy products.

Brangwayna