[Sca-cooks] Munchies for a Tisch

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Jan 19 13:34:46 PST 2004

Mazel Tov!

For period finger foods, it depends on whether you're looking for meat or
dairy, and also if you have any friends who are allergic to nuts.

If dairy, there are a number of tart recipes that would work well in
individual little tartlettes (or in muffin cups)--darioles, tarte in embre
day, tart de bry, tardpolenes. Those hard-boiled eggs in mustard sauce
(which are quite tasty but I don't remember what they're called, exactly).
There are a lot of fritters that are kosher dairy or pareve but fritters
don't keep well. Individual fruit tarts--Sabina Welserin and Guter Spise
have some nice fruit tart fillings, for instance. Savory Tosted Cheese.

For meat, yrchouns (hedgehogs)made with beef or lamb, cold poached chicken
in cubes with any number of dipping sauces and/or mustards, individual
meat pasties or tarts, the chopped liver recipe from Du Fait de Cuisine.

Pareve finger-food: gingerbrede, quince paste, candied almonds, candied
orange peel, the aforementioned eggs, some of the later-period
bisket-breads, cuskynoles (whether heretical or not), makshufa (kind of
like a sesame brittle), hais, Platina's Torta of Red Chickpeas.

Most of the recipes can be found in Cariadoc's Miscellany. Some recipes
call for milk but you can replace it with almond milk without a problem,
also.

Margaret