[Sca-cooks] Romanian Cookbook

El Hermoso Dormiendo ElHermosoDormido+scacooks at dogphilosophy.net
Tue Jan 20 09:19:34 PST 2004

Same here - high praise for the person who thought to use .rtf
instead of a more close, proprietary format!

As far as OpenOffice -

http://www.openoffice.org

Quite nice, and actually has a couple of features
that Microsoft(tm) Office(tm) doesn't even have - export
to .pdf (directly, without paying for permission to run
extra software) and exporting to Macromedia's "Flash" format
(no more posting "PowerPoint(tm)" bloated files on the 'net!  Hooray!)

Even better - it's LEGALLY free, and available on multiple
platforms.  (The Mac OS X version is a bit behind the other
versions due to the limited number of programmer's who've shown up
to work on the porting - kind of surprised Apple corporation
hasn't contributed some development resources to bring it up
to speed, given the amount of Microsoft(tm) software that is
now "abandonware" on the Mac...)  And it does a pretty
good job of handling Microsoft(tm) file formats, too.
Download links are available at the site.  If you're an EXTREME nerd,
you can even get the source code and compile it up yourself for
maximum optimization for your computer...

(If you need/want a 'commercial' version, Sun sells it as "StarOffice",
and includes some proprietary add-ons, including clip-art and, I'm
told, import capability for WordPerfect(tm) format and a few others.  And
it's still cheaper than illegally pretending to be a "Student or Teacher" to
get a discounted version of Microsoft(tm) Office(tm) 2003(tm)...)

I don't know about your printer and .pdf's, though - what kind is it?
It MIGHT be possible to get an alternate printer driver that could
adjust the output to fit the printer memory (or adjust obscure settings
of the existing driver to do so)...

signed,
El Hermoso Dormiendo, penguinista