[Sca-cooks] lent, wine, indulgences, de Nola

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Jan 20 14:01:19 PST 2004

At 01:20 PM 1/20/2004, you wrote:
>When I was wrapping up the article I found myself wanting to finish with
>a smart-ass comment about "This meal goes great with crusty bread and a
>nice white wine - assuming you've bought an indulgence for the wine!"
>but I realised I knew too little about indulgences to say that with
>confidence.
>
>So my question is, could you buy indulgences to let you drink wine
>during Lent?  Was it even restricted, or am I thinking too modernly
>about alcohol?

Hmm... I don't think the ordinary consumption of wine was regulated during
Lent, in particular since it was quite nearly a necessity in many places.
*Overindulgence* of course was frowned upon at any time.

I will think on this a bit and get back to you. ISTR I have something about
it written down... somewhere... ;-)

'Lainie
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president ... right or
wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public." -- Teddy Roosevelt, 1918