[Sca-cooks] French table Service and Web site

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Jan 20 14:50:46 PST 2004

At 12:55 PM 1/20/2004, you wrote:

>Greetings,
>I went and checked, and it seems that the portion of the site that is
>available in English is less than 1/3 of what is in French. I looked to see
>if they provided an English translation of the passage and they do not. So,
>here is what is in my book:
>
>"When the lord arrives at the banquet hall and takes his seat the steward
>calls the cup-bearer, who leaves the table and goes to the sideboard.

<snip>

Interesting. I think you'll find a number of texts that are similar if not
identical. The _Boke of Curtasye_, _Boke of Kervynge_, _Ffor to Serve a
Lord_, etcare available from EETS and/or EEMM. A run through World Cat
should pop them up.

>The book also provides an additional small quote from the same text:
>"...the lord's jug should be distinguished by the pieces of unicorn horn
>hanging from a cord."
>And the author goes on to speculate that the strange 't' shaped pieces
>attached to both the cup-bearer's pouch and the carver's pouch in the Tres
>Riches Heurs miniature are unicorn horn pieces. Unicorn horn being believed
>to turn black in the presence of poison.

Uh, no, those look like bollucks daggers to me. There's also one in the
August plate (guy in the parti green/grey on the far left).

'Lainie
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president ... right or
wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public." -- Teddy Roosevelt, 1918