[Sca-cooks] Portuguese Cookbook

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 20 14:53:41 PST 2004

> During 2003, Faerisa / Robert Downie <rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca> was
> translating a 15th century Portuguese cookbook, posting questions and
> recipes to the list.
>
> I have lost track of whether or not he completed his book, and
> whether or not he made it accessible on the net somewhere. Anyone
> remember?
>
> Anahita

Well, yes and no.
I finished translating the version webbed at the Cervantes Virtual
Library, which has been somewhat modernised in spelling, syntax and
grammar. I still need to translate the _original_ for the Food Manuscript
Project (where it will eventually get webbed).

All of the recipes I've translated are in the archives.  I also sent out
the complete file to various individuals who asked for it, sent it to
Stephen for the Florilegium (I'm 95% sure, if not I know I sent him
copies of the messages), and put it in the Food and Feasts list files.  I
can't remember if I put it on our back up yahoo list, I'll have to check!

I still fully intend to get cracking on the translation of the original
relatively soon.  I've had an annoyingly acute case of busyness (dont ya
just hate those?) since the fall, and now I'm madly getting ready to head
cook for our Bardic Madness Feast on Feb 14th - go ahead, guess what the
theme is :-).  It'll be my first time as head cook, and in my infinite
wisdom (hah! more like boundless enthusiasm) I've decided to create a
menu entirely of illusion foods, incorporating aphrodisiacs and other
reflections of the theme.

Sorry for the rambling...does this help?  If you need a copy of the file
I can send you one directly as well, just bear in mind it is a flawed
translation because the original has been somewhat modified.  I promise
to post my translations of the original as soon as I get time to start on
them.

Baroness Faerisa
Yes, I'm a girl, I just happen to use my husband's account (in fact, I
seem to use it way more than he does...no fair).