[Sca-cooks] French table Service and Web site - xlation part one

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Tue Jan 20 18:14:09 PST 2004

Well, i jsut could not resist!  I had to start the translation.  Here is a
quick xlation of the first paragraph under the heading Le Service du vin
selon Olivier de la Marche

The Wine Service according to.....

In the framework of the grand courts of time - and specifically to the Court
of Bourgogne - there developed a literature whose goal to meticulously
regulate the organization of feasts, the succession of courses, and the
services (probably here it means the dishes, the cutlery, the glassware,
etc).  The most famous treatise was written Olivier de la Marche:  it is the
state of the House of the duke Charles de Bourgogne said the Daring and also
The Foolhardy.
As Maitre D, de la Marche is not only responsible for advising the kitchens
of the dishes his master desires to have at his table, but also to organise
the meals to his satisfaction.
The wine service is ensured by the Echanson (could not find a xlation for
this word; probably the person responsible for the wine cellars or something
like that) who mainly sees to the mixing of wine to water according to the
preference (or taste) of the prince.
The seating is choreographed by the Maitre D like a ballet, where each
[guest], according to his rank, his place and his function is placed.

Ok, that's it for the first para.  More tomorrow
vicki

Angharad ferch Iorwerth; MKA Vicki Shaw
Barony Beyond the Mountain
East Kingdom