[Sca-cooks] Almonds, was illusion foods

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 21 13:24:47 PST 2004

>Christianna
>who just dictated a method for almond milk and cheese over the phone for a
>church lady this afternoon

Don't you just love helping people figure out new cool things to play with?
As for the shrimp, we shall make a date for next pennsic.  I may even get up
the courage to do a class in weird, easy ways to mold marzipan, except I'll
probably get shot down for using modern tools, molds, etc.
Olwen

Yup, the lady who calle is a local SCA member, it was one of her co-workers
that is allergic to milk in all forms and wanted cheese.  I gave her the
whole methodology (buy almonds, blanch them, squib them, grind them, add
water, keep adding water, strain, boil, cheesecloth, drain, squeeze).  Then
I called back and said 'You know, you can buy almond cheese at the health
food store...
:)
Christianna
Wouldn't worry about modern tools in your class. Give some references to how
it would have been done in period, then go about your own methods.