[Sca-cooks] French table Service and Web site - xlation part one

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Wed Jan 21 17:52:46 PST 2004

I am just getting back to the xlation now.  Sorry, very busy today preparing
for guests this evening.  But I was annoyed that none of the dictionary
resources had the word for echanson, so I did what I should have done last
night and just googled echanson and I found something!!!  Anyway, the
echanson was the wine waiter!  And in the next paragraph is the word
echansonnerie which would be, I guess, the office of the echanson or maybe a
room in the palace/castle where wine preparations for a feast took place.
Now, I want you to know that the next paragraph is a series of long run-on
sentences.  I am going to try and stick to the tone of the sentence as it
was written, so it's not MY syntax that is lousy!  LOL!

But but but, the passage containing the word echanson - an item on the
Google menu - was so interesting that I decided to click the translate
option, so I am offering it here.  Dunno how it is going to come out on here
when I click copy.  let's find out, shall we.  this translation is lousy.  I
would not put my name to such a thing, but it is probably a
computer-generated thing....
Vicki

            Water
            Wine waiter
            Scout
            National school of agriculture
            ECU
            Edant
            Egli
            Egrot
            Egrot and Grange
            Praise
            Emancipation
            Embarrassment
            Emon
            Use of sulphur has dry
            Encaveurs
            Engel
            Engelbreche
            Engelbrecht
            Enjalore
            Inquire
            Entree
            Warehouse
            Maintenance
            Eon
            Epernay
            Ernst
            Eschevannes
            Escoublay
            Espagnet
            Test
            Estienne
            State
            Labels
            Evesque
            Exposures
            Eygurande
            Eylau (page 1)
            Eylau (page 2)
            Eymery

      (5030)

      (WINE WAITER). - Robert of ESNEVAL. - Receipt on vellum (85 x265
mill.) of 5 long handwritten lines, 19 April 1395 and covered seal of wax
red to its weapons, on simple tail.

      Robert dEsneval, rider, WINE WAITER OF the KING... confession to have
received from Godefroy the Boilerman, Manservant of MONSEIGNEUR of ORLEANS,
the sum of 40 francs which... my known as Seigneur my give to have a horse,
of which sum I am held for content and paid well."

      King CHARLES VI, wire of Charles V, born in 1372, could free himself
from the supervision of his uncles only in 1388 and was then guided only by
his/her younger brother, LOUIS of ORLEANS (born in 1373, and which was the
grandfather of Louis XII). Charles VI abruptly became insane in 1392;
his/her uncles took again the government, delivering France to the bloody
fights between the parties of Burgundy and Orleans. Jean without Fear, duke
of Burgundy, "tried by the devil", made massacre the duke of Orleans,
November 23, 1407, street Vieille of the Temple, whereas it returned from to
the queen, by 18 assassins. Charles VI had married Isabeau of Bavaria in
1385. It did not have whereas 14 years, spoke only German and became the
mistress of the duke of Orleans, younger brother by the king. After the
death of this one, then that of the king (1422), it finished his life in the
contempt of all and misery in 1435.

      The wine waiter, it is "pouring it with drinking", officer charged to
pour to drink with the king or the very large characters. "Magister
Pincernarum" of Charlemagne, Royal Cupbearer of Germany was a king de
Bohême; it officiated crown at the head. This load is a remainder of the
Germanic origins; the wine waiters held row of large characters of the State
and were even often charged to sign the ordinances and letter-licences of
the king. It fell to them the purchase of the wines, their distribution and
the service with table. This is why attribution was conceded with very close
and very sure characters; there was in the old royalty up to thirteen in
load. This medieval heritage fell in disuse and was nothing any more but one
show at the time of the festivals, until the reign of Louis XIV.

      The family of ESNEVAL is of very old stock Norman and Picardy
(weapons: palé of gold and azure, with the head of mouths). The parts which
relate to this honorary load are extremely rare especially of this disturbed
time and royal membership. This one is very beautiful, with the SEAL
PRESERVES and the very readable weapons; usually, one removed the very thick
seals before filing parts (D. Morcrette).

Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] French table Service and Web site - xlation part
one

> This is great.  I know that there are other descriptions, but this one is
one that I had found paraphrased and a small quote in the Scully work...and
had used what I found in an article I wrote on 14th c. kitchens, etc.  This
person was highly placed in the household of the Duke of Normandy, I
think...and his diary entry on this matter is very useful.  It really will
be far better to reference the diary directly (closer to a primary source,
even if it is a translation) than to use the reference from another book.