[Sca-cooks] French table Service and Web site (part 4 - last para)

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Sat Jan 24 10:28:38 PST 2004

Well since I have been sitting here waiting for my daugher to arrive, i
decided not to abandon my hands to the devil and got back to the xlation.
Watch here arrive now!  Anyway, nhere is the last para

This does not mean that the prince is instantly served since the cup bearer,
once he has received the signal, takes the goblet in his hand and the cup
and must hold the goblet raised high so his breath does not come in contact
with it [pollute].  The hall bailiff opens the way for him and when the
sommelier sees him coming, he fills his ewer with fresh water and refreshes
the goblet in the hand of the cup bearred both inside and out, then takes a
cup in the left hand and the mouth pot [?] in the right hand, and first
pours into the cup he is holding, and then into the goblet, and then takes
the ewer and pours into the cup he is holding, an dthen into the goblet an
dthen takes the ewer an dpours into the cup and then dilutes [??] the wine
into the goblet, according to his knowledge of the prince's taste
[preference] and his tolerance.
The wine watered, the cup bearer pours from his goblet into the cup he is
holding, covers the goblet once again - and he must hold the lid between the
two small fingers of the hand with which he holds the cup