[Sca-cooks] French table Service and Web site

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Sat Jan 24 09:51:03 PST 2004

Here is the next installment:

"The princed arrived, and the plate proferred, the Maitre D calls upon the
cup bearer (echanson), and so the cup bearer leaves the table, goes to the
buffet and locates the covered basins which the sommelier had prepared; he
takes them and peforms [presents?] the water trial to the sommelier, kneels
before the prince, raises the basin which he proceeds to open with his left
hand, and pours water from the other basin over the edge of this one and
does proof and trial, and gives to wash from one of the basins and receives
water in the other.  Without covering the basins, he hands them to the
sommelier.  This done, the cupbearer places himself before [in front of] the
gobelet and looks upon the prince, and he should be so attentive that with
the subtlest sign [look], the prince can let it be known he desires wine"

Only one more to go!!!
Vicki

Angharad ferch Iorwerth; MKA Vicki Shaw
Barony Beyond the Mountain
East Kingdom
vhsjvs at gis.net

> I don't really have a deadline.  The thing I'm working on is ongoing.
It's one of those things that I've been working on for some time, and intend
to finish in the near future...I hope.  In fact, the part that your
translation will help with is pretty much already written, and one version
has already been published...but this will make it much better when I revise
that part to go in the finished "whole"...

> Thanks again for your hard work.  I look forward to seeing the rest of the
translation, whenever you can get to it.  In fact, your work may be what it
takes to make me get busy and finish the project!