[Sca-cooks] The Atkins Schmaltz Diet

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Jan 28 07:01:19 PST 2004

Aaaaaigh! Just when I'd managed to forget its existence, I get reminded of
zulze (p'tcha, the jellied calve's feet mentioned). Ick. Ptooey. Blech.
Eew.

Mom and Grandma loved the stuff. Just thinking about it makes me slightly
queasy. *shudder*

[My maternal grandparents were first-generation and *very* German--well,
Grandpa was Austrian and Swedish, but who's counting?--and food served at
their house was very old-country. Zulze. Headcheese. Blood sausage. Butter
on the bread before you put anything else on it, including mayonnaise.
Braunschweiger. Unidentifiable bits of chicken innards in the soup.
Sauerbraten served with noodles. Etc.]

Margaret

> Folks, I just got this from my Jewish list.  As I read it, I could hear the Yiddish spoken.  I grew up on most of this food.
>
> I remember as a child, my bubbie  (grandma) once made cow brains as an appetizer. My grandfather hated it, but ate it with a smile. He told me that if his wife had gone to the  trouble of making the dish, he would eat it.
>
> I just remembered that you can no longer get chicken feet (at the grocery or kosher butcher - Maybe NYC???) and those yolk eggs that formed in the hen but had no white with them yet. Ah the days!...
>
> Phillipa

[snip]