[Sca-cooks]Mock Apple Pie? (was "Tuna Cassarole") (was:Shepherd's Pie)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 28 10:50:29 PST 2004

Aurore Gaudin wrote:

>?Mock Apple Pie? *blinks with curiousty*  Aurore
>

>>>   What... no Mock Apple Pie ,with all those yummy Crackers.
>>>
>>no, thank god!   used to give me the shivers just READING that recipe! 8)
>>
>>cailte

This recipe appeared on the back of the Ritz Crackers box for many
years.  I don't know anybody who actually tried it.

Ritz Mock Apple Pie

The National Biscuit Company created Ritz Crackers in 1933 and shortly
afterward introduced a recipe that has remain an adored oddity for
nearly 70 years: Mock Apple Pie. Its popularity soared during World War
II when fresh apples were a luxury few could afford.

Pastry for 2-crust (9-inch) pie
36 Ritz Crackers, coarsely broken (about 1 3/4 cups crumbs)
1 3/4 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Grated peel of one lemon
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

   1. Roll out half the pastry and line a 9-inch pie plate. Place
      cracker crumbs in prepared crust; set aside.
   2. Heat water, sugar and cream of tartar to a boil in saucepan over
      high heat; simmer for 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and peel; cool.
   3. Pour syrup over cracker crumbs. Dot with margarine or butter;
      sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll out remaining pastry; place over pie.
      Trim, seal and flute edges. Slit top crust to allow steam to escape.
   4. Bake at 425*F (220*C) for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is crisp
      and golden. Cool completely.

Makes 10 servings.