[Sca-cooks] Lamb (was Re: lent, wine, indulgences, de Nola)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Jan 28 11:59:01 PST 2004

Also sprach <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>:
>  >
>>  Or merely that the Normans were doing the writing. History is written by
>>  the victors, after all. I would argue that, rather than the theory of word
>>  usage showing that the Normans were doing the eating, the word usage shows
>>  that the Normans were writing the cookbooks. The first cookery manuscripts
>>  are, after all, written in Norman French or are posited translations from
>>  a French manuscript.
>
>What we discussed in 8th grade English is that Anglo Saxon words for
>animals survived, while Norman words were applied to the meat of the
>animals. We all figured that the people doing the raising of the animals
>kept the old words, and the new Norman upperclass applied the Norman words
>to the meat as it came to table.

That's a commonly held theory, but possibly an oversimplification,
one which might lead to the impression (one which I'm not saying
you're propagating, but it does seem to be out there) that the
Normans were doing the meat-eating, while the downtrodden Saxons were
chugging turnips from that point on...

It's kinda like the theory that only Haliburton and Enron executives can aff...

Hmmm. Maybe not so far off, at that ;-)

Adamantius