[Sca-cooks] Lamb (was Re: lent, wine, indulgences, de Nola)

Ana Valdés agora at algonet.se
Wed Jan 28 19:32:28 PST 2004

It's not the Normans kept for themselves the hunting as a "privilege"?
The Jews could not hunt, not either own a horse or a piece of land in
the Middle Age. The Spaniards "chivalry" could not saddle their own
horses, if they were discovered doing so, they was at once dismissed of
the cavalry and lost ther hereditary rights.
Thats because Spanish Rennainsaince novels, as Quijote and Lazarillo de
Tormes, moke the uses of the scuders and helpers of these poor knights.
Ana

Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:

>Dredging this one up again...

>>>"All the AS words [sheep, cow, pig, deer] show
>>>that the Saxons were the caretakers of the
>>>animals.
>>>
>>>All the Norman words [mutton, beef, pork,
>>>venison]
>>>show that the Normans were the eaters of the
>>>animals."
>>>
>>>Which is interesting considering that venison was not orignally just used to
>>>refer to cooked deer, but wild game on four legs in general...
>>>

>>Which shows that the Normans doing the hunting too.
>>
>>Ranvaig
>>

>Or merely that the Normans were doing the writing. History is written by
>the victors, after all. I would argue that, rather than the theory of word
>usage showing that the Normans were doing the eating, the word usage shows
>that the Normans were writing the cookbooks. The first cookery manuscripts
>are, after all, written in Norman French or are posited translations from
>a French manuscript.
>
>I refuse to believe that only the Normans did any hunting, and that only
>the Normans ate meat during the MA. If that were true, then there wouldn't
>be people with English surnames mentioned in the court records for
>poaching. For instance.
>
>Has anybody considered that the word usage might have something to do with
>French being the language of the upper classes for so long?
>
>Margaret

Skarpnäcks Allé 45
128 33 Skarpnäck
Phone: +468-943288