Food like/dislikes AND medieval bread WAS RE: [Sca-cooks]MockApple Pie?

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Thu Jan 29 06:01:45 PST 2004

I agree with you , Adamantius, even if I made disparaging remarks about
pig's blood the other day at the market.  So I am guilty as charged as well
and will never again indulge in onomatopoeatic exclamations of diskike.

May I suggest you slice an eggplant in medium to small thickness, slicing
vertically top to bottom, coating only with a wash of beaten egg (+ dash of
milk), then slipping slices into very hot oil and covering immediately with
mesh cover, and turning before eggplant gets burned.  I promise no sliminess
at all there.  sprinkle with salt and a little lemon juice.  Or, if you have
one of those George Forman type grills, you can slice a bit thicker, wash
with olive oil, lemon and salt brushed on and then grill until flesh
completely cooked.  No sliminess there either.  That is the trick to
successfull eggplant.  A Greek chef who knows his stuff will always grill or
fry his eggplants until the flesh is dry.  I have had some really bad ersatz
moussala where the eggplant seemed hardly cooked.  If that was my first
experience with eggplant, it would no doubt also be the last!
Bon Courage, mon ami!

Angharad