[Sca-cooks] Re: Mediteranean was Food like/dislikes

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jan 29 07:02:39 PST 2004

You might want to extend this and look at what
Fernand Braudel has to say in his many books
and then go beyond him to the next generation of
scholars that used his work and extended it.
Braudel has authored such works as
The Mediterranean and the Mediterranean World in the Age of Philip II and
Mediterranean in the Ancient World.
You ought to be able to ILLOAN his works.
Other titles to look at might include:
The Corrupting Sea: A Study of Mediterranean History by Horden.
Medieval Trade in the Mediterranean World by Lopez.
The Medieval Mediterranean: Cross-Cultural Contacts. 1988.
Forthcoming is
Housing the Stranger in the Mediterranean World : Lodging, Trade, and
Travel in Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages
by Constable which should detail foods being served at lodgings.

Clifford Wright ties part of this together in his book-- A Mediterranean
Feast.
 Hope this helps--
Johnnae llyn Lewis
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0688153054/qid=1075387952/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0475445-1119349?v=glance&s=books>

ekoogler1 at comcast.net wrote:I'm researching information about
Mediterranean cooking...where it came from and how it's all related. I'm
going to be teaching a class at Atlantian University, and this is
background material for that. Regina, that wonderful lady, sent me a
book, "Regional Cuisines of Medieval Europe", that is proving to be
wonderfully helpful. Helewyse has also been of great assistance in
helping me tie things together. Maybe, once the class is done, I will
turn it into an article for TI, if they're interested. This is also
providing the initial research for things to do for the Italian Ren
feast I'm doing early in May.