[Sca-cooks] Beets (was Eggplant)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Jan 29 11:05:49 PST 2004

I don't have the Shakespeare book, but I've got a copy of Lumbardy Tarts
in my copy of _To The Queen's Taste_.  The source is given as "The Good
Huswives Handmaid for Cookerie," and is dated to 1588.
The original follows:
"How to make Lumbardy Tarts.  Take beets, chop them small, and to them
put grated bread and cheese, and mingle them wel in the chopping.  Take
a few corrans, and a dishe of sweet butter, and melt it.  Ther stir al
these in the butter, together with three yolkes of egges, sinamon,
ginger, and sugar, and make your tart as large as you will, and fill it
with the stuffe, bake it, and serve it in."

The redaction recommends using a mild cheese such as emmenthaler or
monterey jack (perhaps for the melting qualities?), but outside of
telling you to grate the cheese (if you take the adjective "grated" to
refer to both the bread and the cheese, and not just the bread), there's
really nothing in the recipe that specifies cheese type.  Might be
interesting to experiment with....
It also doesn't say anything about pre-cooking the beets, although I
think the one time (many years ago) that I did this recipe, I used
canned, diced beets that I drained of their liquid (cost of fresh ones
being prohibitive with that particular feast budget).

Oh, and on the same pages (68 and 69), there's a bit from Gerard on
beets.  In part he says, "The red Beet, boyled and eaten with oyle,
vinegre and pepper, is a most excellent and delicat sallad...."

Mmmmm....now I'm hungry!

--maire