[Sca-cooks] Beets (was Eggplant)

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 29 11:23:20 PST 2004

>I don't have the Shakespeare book, but I've got a copy of Lumbardy Tarts
>in my copy of _To The Queen's Taste_.  The source is given as "The Good
>Huswives Handmaid for Cookerie," and is dated to 1588.
>
>--maire
>
>ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:
>
>>>Have you tried the recipe from Dining with William Shakespeare for
>>>Lumdardy Tarts...they are wonderful, and friends who won't eat beets in
>>>any other form adore these.  Beets, cheddar cheese, currants, brown
>>>sugar, eggs...put in a pie shell...bake.  Ummmmmmmmm.

         This may be an example of how different ways of handling a food
can change your perception of its acceptability.  I love beets, in pretty
much any form (except raw :-), and always have.  I've only had Lumbardy
Tart once, and while it was edible, much to my surprise I didn't like it
very much.  I might find a different redaction much more tasty.  I wish I
could remember how I made it so I'd have an idea of what to change before
trying it again.

Sandra