[Sca-cooks] Beets (was Eggplant)

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jan 29 11:38:23 PST 2004

Thank you VERY much.

>The redaction recommends using a mild cheese such as emmenthaler or
>monterey jack (perhaps for the melting qualities?), but outside of
>telling you to grate the cheese (if you take the adjective "grated"
>to refer to both the bread and the cheese, and not just the bread),
>there's really nothing in the recipe that specifies cheese type.
>Might be interesting to experiment with....

I'm thinking of trying it with my homemade fresh cheese.  I think it
might go well.  I'm organizing a monthly medieval cooking night in
our shire, and I think I just found the dish I'll make for the first
one.

>It also doesn't say anything about pre-cooking the beets, although I
>think the one time (many years ago) that I did this recipe, I used
>canned, diced beets that I drained of their liquid (cost of fresh
>ones being prohibitive with that particular feast budget).

As much as I love beets and hate canned veggies, I find canned beets
to be acceptable.

Ranvaig