[Sca-cooks] Beets (was Eggplant)

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 14:09:09 PST 2004

Actually, it is spelled with the "d" in "Dining with William Shakespeare"...and Lorna Sass, in "To the Queen's Taste" uses a "b"...so, depending on which source we check, it is spelled differently.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the Partridge book and, while Sass does use the title with her version of the original, Lorwin does not.  I can't help but wonder, given the fact that Sass changes the spellings of several things from the earlier form of English, if she hasn't reworked the spelling here to something more familiar, a real place...Lumbardy.  Who know?