[Sca-cooks] Re: Beets (was Eggplant)

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jan 30 08:57:24 PST 2004

I looked this up on EEBO in order to check the actual text
 and it is "To Make Lumdardy tartes." page 32 in
the 1594 edition STC 3298. EEBO is using the scanned Bodleian Library copy.
So Sass appears to have changed it. She also lists that she used a 1588
edition
which no longer appears as such in the ESTC. There has been a lot of work
done on these books in the last quarter century and
dates/titles/credited authors
have been changed. Please note that not all sources today even credit
Partridge with
A good huswifes handmaide for the kitchin. And the bibliographic
records are very confused. Lorwin uses
the 1594 edition which is now STC 3298. UMI when they filmed it (and they
filmed it more than once )labeled
the 1594 as 3298a for the microfilm which would indicate a variant
edition. My bet is that this is the microfilm edition that Lorwin used.
Just to be even more confusing the book carries a running title of:
A new booke of cookerie which is why it turns up sometimes as that!

Hope this clears up this question.

Johnnae llyn Lewis