[Sca-cooks] Eggplant

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 30 15:49:21 PST 2004

Don't like eggplant? I have one word: Zaalouk!
That's a Moroccan eggplant dish made with a variety of OOP vegetables
like tomatoes and bell peppers (yeah, yeah, i know some folks hate
bell peppers, but i have found that prepared the Moroccan way i
actually enjoy it, and i'm no bell pepper fan)

As i've bragged on this list more than once, i have converted
hard-core eggplant haters with a couple dishes - i'm fortunate in
that around here folks will taste things, even things they are sure
they don't like. Many have not only eaten one serving, but three... I
am not suggesting that i can convert Master Adamantius, as he has
deep knowledge of foods, much more so than most folks, and more even
than i do, so i could very well fail.

That said, I think, personally, it depends on a multitude of factors:
-- First, there are quite a few different varieties and they do taste
different. Also, if an eggplant is seedy, i remove the seeds as much
as possible as they are bitter - more than even i, who likes bitter
food, enjoy eating.
-- Second, there are a number of ways to "drain" the eggplant - i
never did this in the past, but i think it does taste better if it
has been "drained", and i have done this with the "ethnic" recipes
i've cooked.
-- Third is the quality of other ingredients used. I am certain that
Master Adamantius uses impeccable ingredients, but there really are
differences in the kind of oil one uses, the kind of yogurt, etc. and
they effect the flavor of the finished dish.
-- And of course, how the eggplant is cooked - or under cooked - i
find under-cooked eggplant less desirable, but some people who don't
want to overcook their vegetables, under cook their eggplant, which
does not do eggplant justice. I prefer it cooked with a generous
amount of high quality oil, do not care as much for it pan-fried, and
don't care for it just boiled, although i will eat it.

Anahita