[Sca-cooks] period vegetarian dish with the insides of eggplants

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jan 30 21:21:36 PST 2004

>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
>Make a sauce of vinegar, oil,
>>  almori, and mashed garlic; give all this a shaking and pour it over
>>  the top.
>>
>>  1 large eggplant (1 lb 3 oz) 1 T oil 2 T oil
>
>Hey, your Grace, what's "almori"? Don't think I've ever seen that mentioned
>before...

Well, if you are going to limit yourself to the cooking of the
barbarians ...  .

Almori, sometimes given as "Murri," is a condiment that plays a role
in medieval islamic cooking similar to the role of soy sauce in
Chinese cooking. It was made by an extensive process involving
fermentation and used, usually in spoonful quantities, in lots of
different things.

I've never made proper Murri, although Charles Perry has. But there
is a period recipe for fake Murri--and a period warning against using
it. So that's what we use. The recipe is in the Miscellany.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/