[Sca-cooks] period apple commerce

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Jan 31 23:06:20 PST 2004

At 08:03 PM 1/31/2004, you wrote:
>'Lainie replied to me with:
>> > And on a more medieval note, were apples not exported from the apple
>> > growing areas in Europe to other parts during the Middle Ages? Or even
>> > cider? Wine did get exported from France to England, was English cider
>> > not shipped the other direction?
>>
>>There was plenty of cider in Normandy and Anjou. Why import it?
>Perhaps for the same reasons the English imported French wine even though
>they grew grapes and made wine in England?

Because English wines were known for being *really bad*. IIRC it was Peter
of Blois who remarked on the terrible wine. Can't cite it though- guess
where the books are? :-/

>So, was English (or French) cider exported out of the area it was made in,
>in the Middle Ages?

I'm pretty sure that French wines were imported fairly early. How far, I
don't know.

Dang. Now I'll be up all night, mentally going through the bookshelf in
Sutherlin. I know I've got the English wines comment, but where?...

'Lainie
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president ... right or
wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public." -- Teddy Roosevelt, 1918