[Sca-cooks] period apple commerce

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Jan 31 23:38:41 PST 2004

At 11:06 PM 1/31/2004, you wrote:
>>Perhaps for the same reasons the English imported French wine even though
>>they grew grapes and made wine in England?
>
>Because English wines were known for being *really bad*. IIRC it was Peter
>of Blois who remarked on the terrible wine. Can't cite it though- guess
>where the books are? :-/

Replying to myself, I know...

I found this on the Godecookery website:

>Wine, in thirteenth century England mostly imported from English-ruled
>Bourdeaux, was drunk young in the absence of an effective technique for
>stoppering containers. Wine kept a year became undrinkable. No attention
>was paid to vintage, and often what was served even at rich tables was of
>poor quality. Peter of Blois decribed in a letter wine served at Henry
>II's court:
>"The wine is turned sour or mouldy - thick, greasy, stale, flat and
>smacking of pitch. I have sometimes seen even great lords served with wine
>so muddy that a man must needs close his eyes and clench his teeth,
>wry-mouthed and shuddering, and filtering the stuff rather than drinking."

I looked for the source of the Blois quote but haven't found it- everyone
quotes it, but no one says exactly where it's from. I glanced through the
Blois documents in the InternetSourcebook, and found a rather harsh letter
from Peter to Eleanor of Aquitaine, amongst others, but the wines of
England were not mentioned in the letters on that site
.
>>So, was English (or French) cider exported out of the area it was made
>>in, in the Middle Ages?
>
>I'm pretty sure that French wines were imported fairly early. How far, I
>don't know.

There's quite a few mentions in various places that French wines from
Bordeaux began importing to England in a big way when Henry and Eleanor
took the throne- it all being under management, so to speak. And apparently
continued so until Gascony slipped from English control.

Hmm. A nice glass of Bordeaux would be really nice right now. If there were
a tall Gascon to serve it, it would be even better!

'Lainie