[Sca-cooks] When cheese is not cheese

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 12 21:21:21 PDT 2004

Selene C. answered me with:
> > Does this make a cheese or a chocolate jello? It sounds a lot more
> > like the latter than the former.
> >
> > Stefan
> > --------
> I was going for more of a jel, but then again, in earlier times [before
> the Jell-O company] any firmed sweet was called a "cheese."  Lemon
> Cheese, etc.
Oh! Then how did they differentiate between a "cheese" made using a
dairy product  and one that was something else, thickened? I think, for
the Florilegium, I will continue to split things between cheese-msg
(dairy), aspic-msg and (in the future), jellied-milk-msg. Now, I'm
wondering how many items I filed in cheese-msg are actually not a
cheese, at least in the modern sense. :-(
> I'm not sure how well a acidulated curd process would work
> on the much-vaunted Pennsic Chocolate Milk;  if anyone performs the
> supreme sacrifice next month, please do let us know the results.
Yes, sounds...interesting.

I wonder if this file is now not so true:
Mousse-art        (13K) 10/19/00    "13 good reasons why chocolate
mousse isn't
                                        medieval." by Lady Jehanne de
Huguenin.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Mousse-art.html

Or  is a "mousse" totally different than something produced by this
curd by acid technique?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas