[Sca-cooks] When cheese is not cheese

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 12 22:57:39 PDT 2004

Me:
>> I was going for more of a jel, but then again, in earlier times [before
>> the Jell-O company] any firmed sweet was called a "cheese."  Lemon
>> Cheese, etc.

Stefan:
> Oh! Then how did they differentiate between a "cheese" made using a
> dairy product  and one that was something else, thickened? I think, for
> the Florilegium, I will continue to split things between cheese-msg
> (dairy), aspic-msg and (in the future), jellied-milk-msg. Now, I'm
> wondering how many items I filed in cheese-msg are actually not a
> cheese, at least in the modern sense. :-(

Me:
Never mind.  I'm not finding any fruit-cheese aside from lemon, as an
alternate name for thick lemon curd, and none before Victorian era.

Me, earlier:
>> I'm not sure how well a acidulated curd process would work
>> on the much-vaunted Pennsic Chocolate Milk;  if anyone performs the
>> supreme sacrifice next month, please do let us know the results.

Stefan:
> Yes, sounds...interesting.
>
> I wonder if this file is now not so true:
> Mousse-art        (13K) 10/19/00    "13 good reasons why chocolate
> mousse isn't medieval." by Lady Jehanne de Huguenin.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Mousse-art.html

After some perusal, I feel that it all still stands.

My recipe, for which I am assured that my Harp Argent was NOT given despite
the time synchronicity, is at <http://home.earthlink.net/~selene/id7.html>
ONE of these days, I must have Jared put up our other family recipes.

> Or  is a "mousse" totally different than something produced by this
> curd by acid technique?

Most modern Mousses are light puddings, aerated by beating cream or eggs.
Nothing to do with the gelatins or cheeses we have been discussing above.

Selene