[Sca-cooks] tart crust question

Christina L Biles bilescl at okstate.edu
Tue Jul 13 14:18:03 PDT 2004

I'm looking at The Sensible Cook, which contains a translation of a 1683
Dutch cookbook De Verstandige Kock.   Does anyone have the original Dutch?
 Specifically, I am in search of a specific recipe.   Rose translates it
thus:

To Make Dough for Taerten

Take Wheat-flour, Butter, Rosewater, Sugar, and a few eggs each as
appropriate.

I am wondering if it is eggs or egg yolks.  I have several recipes for pie
crusts, both modern and sixteenth century, which call for egg yolks, but
none for eggs.

Rose, Peter G. (1989). The sensible cook : Dutch foodways in the Old and
the New World. Syracuse, N.Y. : Syracuse University Press, ; ISBN:
0815602413

-Magdalena