[Sca-cooks] Stefan: Mixer/Egg Beater...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 14 11:29:48 PDT 2004

Stefan wrote:
>Do I need a mixer to make this? Or can it be made without one, as I
>still don't
>have one? Perhaps with an egg beater?

Stefan, i don't own one of those big sit-on-the-counter electric
mixers (a la Kitchen-Aid), either.

But i do own an electric, plug-in beater, a small hand-held version
of the upper part of those big mixers. Beating a mousse won't be much
trouble with one of these, and they are inexpensive.

But perhaps i am misunderstanding you...

When you say "egg beater", i think of a manually powered device with
two beaters on the bottom and a hand crank on the side. You'd get
fatigued using one of these to make a mousse. Plus, in my experience,
the interlocking beaters on the bottom often get out of sync and lock
up, which is annoying.

If you actually mean a plug-in, hand-held mixer, they work fine and
there's no reason you can't make a mousse with one of them.

Sidenote: "mousse" is French for "foam"

Anahita