[Sca-cooks] Stefan: Mixer/Egg Beater...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 14 22:23:56 PDT 2004

Anahita replied to me with:
> But perhaps i am misunderstanding you...
Nope, you aren't.
> When you say "egg beater", i think of a manually powered evice with
> two beaters on the bottom and a hand crank on the side. You'd get
> fatigued using one of these to make a mousse. Plus, in my experience,
> the interlocking beaters on the bottom often get out of sync and lock
> up, which is annoying.
Yes, this is what I had in mind. I haven't had a problem with one
locking up, but I have noticed that depending on how and where the
handle is placed, some can be more tiring to use than others. The one
we have is one of the tiring ones...

> If you actuall mean a plug-in, hand-held mixer, they work fine and
> there's no reason you can't make a mousse with one of them.
Okay. My mother-in-law did give us one of those before we were married,
with the proviso that if we broke up, it became her daughter's. :-)
Unfortunately, I haven't seen it for a long time, and I don't remember
it turning up in our recent move. I guess this is another reason to
start looking for a Kitchen Aid one. Too bad I got there 30 minutes too
late (ie: 30 minutes after they opened) at that last Tuesday morning
sale.
> Sidenote: "mousse" is French for "foam"
Thank you. This makes a lot more sense than it being some derivative of
"moose" or "mouse". :-) That also explains the name of the stuff they
put in your hair.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas