[Sca-cooks] Cook's Symposium 2004 - Ideas to Comment On Digest, Vol 14, Issue 27

Martina C Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Wed Jul 14 14:31:48 PDT 2004

Hi,
on digest (and with colicky email), so checking in late:

>Lending Library  - I hope to be there to teach and will try to bring a
few of my facsimile sources with me, though a couple of them are old
and fragile...

>Spice/Herb/Supply Delivery - I second the idea, would it be possible to
get the Pepperers there as a merchant?  Im a hands-on kinda gal and
would love the chance to shop their stock in person.

>Road Trips/Guided Tours - I like the idea with a couple of thoughts...
the event is only one day, and I bet that day will be stuffed full of
wonderful classes that I wont want to miss for a field trip... BUT
since I will be flying in, having the tours on the day before of after
might be a thought. (and attractive to this out-o-towner as flying in
for 40 hours seems almost silly)

Just my zwei Pfennige worth
Gwen Cat

>Message: 6
>Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:53:55 +0000
>From: iasmin at comcast.net
>Subject: [Sca-cooks] Cook's Symposium 2004 - Ideas to Comment On
>Greetings!
>One of the things we try to do each year when we host the Cook's
Symposium we host in our area is to offer up a little something
different each time for people. Right now we're toying with a few ideas
that we'd like to get your opinions on to see if they seem feasible or
even wanted.
>Lending Library - We've found that finding and sharing sources on
various cooking topics presents a real challenge to the beginning cook.
To make information more readily available to our researching brethren,
we're toying with the idea of making a number of texts available near a
photocopier so that people can copy the relevant sections they need to
complete the research they're most interested in. Some of the sources
may be books, others papers we've collected over the years, and some
may be feast write-ups that we've found particularly useful. Would you
find this kind of availability of information useful?
>Spice/Herb/Supply Delivery - Because not everyone can get to Pennsic,
we're also toying with the idea of taking Pennsic pre-orders for those
spices that they Pepperer's Guild sells. The idea would be for us to
take prepayment on those items you need and have us do the shopping for
you at Pennsic because you can't make it. We'd then have those pre-paid
orders available at the Cook's Symposium for you to pick up. We could
also make available a limited supply of other items from the stores we
have available to us. Things like dried herbs, candied seeds, rose
water, orange flower water, verijus, and like items could all be
considered. We even know of some commercially availabel marzipan if
people would be interested. If we were to consider this pre-paid
delivery service, what would you be most interested in? Would you find
it useful?
>Road Trips/Guided Tours - In the middle of winter, the idea of further
road travel might be a little daunting. But there are a few local
businesses to the event site that might be of use to cooks and
researchers. Would you be interested in leaving the site to see these
places or do you typically spend most of your time on site?
>Please let us know your opinions on these ideas. We want to make the
Cook's Symposium the best one to date.