[Sca-cooks] Re: Stefan: Mixer/Egg Beater...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 00:24:41 PDT 2004

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> OK, i just noticed it's a Sunbeam.

I have a Sunbeam Mixmaster that I purchased
many years ago, about 1980.  It works great,
except the plastic lens over the light has
broken where it screws on to the mixer and it
has to be taped on in order to keep it on.
It is supposed to be portable and be able to
be used as a hand mixer, but I did that only
once, as it ways a ton.  I suppose that comparing
it to a Kitchen Aid is like comparing a PC to
a Mac.  Each has its fans.  If I had to buy
another stand mixer, I would look for another
Sunbeam if I could.  I just don't like how
the Kitchen Aid works.

About ten years ago, my mom and I had the same
inspiration, she gave me a Rival hand mixer,
which cost $10 and works very well.  I gave her
a rechargable cordless Black and Decker hand
mixer, which works well if you keep the thing
charged.  I then inherited my aunts old GE,
it still works, but starts to put out a sharp
burning smell if you use it too long.  I have
just recently purchased a standard Black and
Decker hand mixer for $16 from Bed, Bath and
Beyond.  It is wonderful.  I probably will
give the GE and the rechargable to some thrift
store.  I don't need four, but I like having
two.

> So i've got all the blades, no instruction
> book, and somehow am
> missing the tube that presses things down,
> which is a genuine
> problem. And it goes together VERY differently
> from the ones they
> make today. But, hey, it was free...

If you write or e-mail Cuisinart, I am sure that
they will send you a new instruction book.  They
might even have them online for you to download.
It can't hurt to ask.

> Do i dream of a Kitchen-Aid with all the
> attachments? You bet! Or a
> Hobart big enough to bathe in? Sure! But i
> probably realistically
> wouldn't have a use for that Hobart and while i
> could use the
> Kitchen-Aid, it wouldn't get used very often.
>
> So Stefan, i'm sure you can afford $25 for a
> two-beater hand-held
> electric mixer. It would do most of what you
> need.

And Stefan, I use my stand mixer for things that
require long mixing.  Or for bread doughs or
doughs that are particularly stiff. My Mixmaster
has a bread dough hook and a strong motor that
can withstand long mixing and stiff doughs. I use
my hand helds for quick mixes.  Things that can
be done in a few minutes.  I tend to use the hand
helds more that the stand mixer.

I have also inherited from my aunt two Braun
immersion blenders, with a few attachments.
They are absolutely wonderful.  Many a lumpy
sauce gets blended smooth in seconds with the
Braun.  It also comes with attachments to chop
and to whip cream.  It is very easy to clean and,
IMHO, worth investing in.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.