[Sca-cooks] Re: Stefan: Mixer/Egg Beater...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 13:42:48 PDT 2004

Cheese, i don't even know what brand electric, hand-held, two-beater,
lightweight mixer i have... It cost around $15 or so when i got it,
i've had it for about 15 years. It won't do any heavy lifting, but
it's fine for beating eggs or cream or making cookies or emulsifying
sauces or...

(rolls chair back, stalks down hall to kitchen, opens drawers,
finally see it, says, "Ah Hah!", closes drawers, stalks back to
office)

OK, i just noticed it's a Sunbeam.

I managed to talk my mother out of her Cuisinart about 2 years ago.
She bought it back when they first hit the scene, because she was
sure i had one (i didn't). She never bothered to figure out how to
use it. (she cuts all her fruits and vegetables with a serrated blade
table/steak knife)

So i've got all the blades, no instruction book, and somehow am
missing the tube that presses things down, which is a genuine
problem. And it goes together VERY differently from the ones they
make today. But, hey, it was free...

She somehow disposed of her wonderful counter top mixer, an early
1950s Sunbeam Mixmaster. She never asked me if i wanted it. Golly gee
yes i would have... I think she even had a sausage stuffing
attachment that i imagine she never used. Sigh.

I still have my Osterizer blender that i bought in 1968. It now has a
plastic jar because as a student i shared housing with others who
were, well, a little rough on my stuff - i went through several glass
jars... don't know if they make them anymore. But it still works and
i definitely asked it to do more than it was built for.

Do i dream of a Kitchen-Aid with all the attachments? You bet! Or a
Hobart big enough to bathe in? Sure! But i probably realistically
wouldn't have a use for that Hobart and while i could use the
Kitchen-Aid, it wouldn't get used very often.

So Stefan, i'm sure you can afford $25 for a two-beater hand-held
electric mixer. It would do most of what you need.

Anahita