[Sca-cooks] Re: Sample Class List for MK Cook's Symposium

Gaylin Walli iasmin at comcast.net
Tue Jul 27 11:01:38 PDT 2004

Christianna wrote:

> Something I suggested that we're thinking about for RUMeridies is a
> proceedings book.  We talked about having it done to sell as a
> fundraiser,
> and also about putting on-line.  [....] Something to think about -

In the past we've considered and even attempted this for the MK Cook's
Symposium and each time there have been good and explainable reasons
why it hasn't worked for us. The chief reason we haven't chosen to do
this for the 2004 sessions is time available from the organizers.
Frankly, we don't have it because of our other responsibilities. But
there is a bit more to it than that.

Another reason is more philosophical on our part. We're working very
hard to encourage a high quality of teaching, be it at the beginning
level (that is, by beginning teachers as well as on beginning topics)
or at the level of what we would call "academic conference ready"
presenters. To allow *everyone* to participate at the level they feel
comfortable take a bit more planning and effort to the future.

Proceedings in the future are certainly an option, but because we're
trying to change a mindset and increase participation first, we've
decided that any collection of notes or papers that teachers have will
be something we encourage later, once we've an established base of
quality in our presenters (and a semi-predictable number in our
attendees, in as much as that might be possible).

A bit of history....this conference started very roughly 5 years ago
with 6 people around a kitchen table. We want the conference to grow
with people and their comfortability level. Right now people are
decidedly "hinky" about submitting notes to these kinds of proceedings
booklets/CDs. It could be that your area is different, however. But
this happens to be the case in our area and is why we haven't pushed
very hard on the idea yet.

Jadwiga wrote:

> In reference to the classes people have proposed to date for the MK
> Cook's Symposium this December 2004, Stefan writes: I'm so confused.
> Is this the MK cooks symposium or the Known World Cooks?

I was referring to MK Cook's Symposium 2004 when I quoted Stefan. :)

Iasmin
Mistress Iasmin de Cordoba, iasmin at comcast.net
Class Coordinator, MK Cook's Symposium 2004
http://home.comcast.net/~iasmin/2004cooks/