[Sca-cooks] Soggy pie pastry

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Wed Jul 28 08:32:02 PDT 2004

        I don't remember whether we suggested using a graham cracker or
cookie crumb crust for these pies.  That usually holds up very well. In the new
'Baking Illustrated' (from 'Cooks Illustrated' magazine) they suggest using such
a crust with their Fresh Berry Pie...
     1 graham cracker or cookie crust, baked & cooled
     6 C mixed summer berries (blue, rasp, etc - as you like)
     1/2 C sugar
     3 T cornstarch
     1/8 t (pinch) salt
     1 T juice from 1 lemon
     2 T red currant or raspberry jelly
1) Rinse & gently dry berries  (well, duh)
2) Puree 2 1/2 C of the berries very well. Strain - should have 1 1/4 to 1
2/3 C
3) Whisk sugar, salt, & cornstarch to combine, then whisk into puree
4) Bring puree to boil over medium heat, stirring contantly w/ wooden spoon.
When puree reaches boil & thickens to consistency of pudding, remove from
heat, stir in lemon juice, & cool slightly
5) Heat jelly gently to melt completely.
6) Place remaining berries in medium bowl. Pour jelly over and stir gently to
coat.
7) Pour slightly cooled berry puree in crust & smooth. Top with jelly-glazed
whole berries.  Press gently into puree & serve with whipped cream.

This is slightly paraphrased.

If you are looking for heavy calorie intake, what about a nice pineapple
upside down cake?  Nice sponge cake, topped with glazed pineapple, cherries, Mucho
butter and brown sugar...  I have a great recipe from my mother.
     Devra (the baker)

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com