[Sca-cooks] viking food and fall fruit

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jul 30 06:55:25 PDT 2004

Greetings!

I'm going to be doing a dayboard the last weekend in October for an
event whose theme is Viking/Slavic. I'm going with the conjectural use
of period recipes method, in which I figure out what kind of foods
people would have been eating, then try to find a period recipe that
resembles it.

Here's my tentative menu:
Beef or pork stew (egredouce)
Millet cooked in broth
Mushroom soup (funges with extra broth, vegetarian)
Bread rolls with onions inside (or whatever God sends, as the Domostroi
says)
Flatbread
Soft cheese
Farmer cheese
Ham or sausage if I get it cheap
Mustard
Carrot sticks (?)
Fall fruit: Pears, Apples
Dried fruit ?
By special request of the autocrat, I'll also be serving homemade
candied lemon peel even though it's not period for the time period...

The most important question to me is, what kind of fall fruit can I use?
I don't think grapes would have been available. Apples & Pears, yes, and
maybe some dried summer fruits...

I'm thinking about drinks, and I'd say maybe barley water as the closest
to small beer? Maybe a honey drink to resemble small mead?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"There's no point in talkin' when there's nobody listenin', so we just ran
away..."