[Sca-cooks] Accidentally stumbling over frangipane...

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 29 21:58:47 PDT 2004

Hey Master A:  I hope nobody minds if I repeat a previous post that's not
mine.

>From the Flori-Thingie, Desserts-msg, Nanna answers you, asking the same
question 4 odd [very odd] years ago:

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:42:22 -0000

From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Nanna_R=F6gnvaldard=F3ttir?=" <nannar at isholf.is>

Subject: Re: SC - Recepies wanted

In the Oxford Companion to Food, Alan Davidson cites Claudine

Br court-Villars, who says frangipane originally meant a cream, flavoured

with almonds and used in the construction of certain cakes. The term

(franchipane) first appears in a French cookery book of 1674 but the name is

said to come from Italian aristocrat Don Cesare Frangipani, who invented an

almond-scented perfume used to scent the gloves of king Louis XIII:

Macaroon recipes have appeared in cookbooks since at least the late 17th

century but they are thought to have originated in Venice in the 14th or

15th centuries.

Nanna