[Sca-cooks] gelatin vs. renet

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 4 20:42:36 PDT 2004

Yes, that's going to make a huge difference! They're quite different.

Gelatin is a protein that, um, gels. You know, Jello. You can use it in
milk, and it will make a gel which can be molded. (I have - used to
have? - a recipe someplace for a spiced molded milk dessert that was
always on the I Should Try That list, but which I never did make.) It
needs to be kept cold, will melt with heat.

Rennet is quite different. That's what you use to make cheese. (An
enzyme, I think? Someone else will have to give you the science behind d
this.) You can use small amounts, with just warm milk, to make junket -
a solid milk dessert - and my guess is that this is what is confusing
you. But the Junket tablets come with directions for making cottage
cheese, too... *G* if you heat the milk further, it makes curds. And you
can further make all kinds of cheese with rennet - either the junket
tablet or a somewhat easier to use liquid rennet you can get from a
cheesemaking supply shop.

The only plain  gelatin I'm really familiar with is Knox. Very reliable,
I've used it for years for aspic and with fruit and juice for desserts
that aren't solid sugar. Junket is a brand name (as well as a dessert)
and fairly readily available, if you want to do a simple experiment.

AEllin