[Sca-cooks] More fun with Turkish food

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 6 13:15:12 PDT 2004

Because my lady Kiri requests it and I don't want to be called a "spoon tease" <g> ...

ROSEWATER FLAVORED RICE PUDDING   in Turkish "Muhallebi"

Ingredients
 5 cups milk,
 1/2 cup rice,
 1 Tbs cornstarch,
 6 Tbs sugar,
 1 Tbs rosewater.

Boil the rice in a pot until it has cooked very well and started to separate.
 With a little milk, mix the cornstarch to a smooth paste.
 Drain the excess water of rice, add the  sugar, milk and the starch paste stirring continuously with a wooden spoon.
 Simmer the mixture until just below boiling point and take care not to let it burn on the bottom.
 The mixture should thicken in about 15 minutes. Add the rose water continue stirring in one direction over low heat.
 Simmer for 5 minutes longer, then remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly before pouring it into individual glass dishes.
 Garnish with almonds or pistachio nuts, and sprinkle with nutmeg. Leave to chill for 3 to 4 hours before serving.