[Sca-cooks] More fun with Turkish food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 6 23:38:58 PDT 2004

Gianotta mentioned:
> I went to the other Turkish deli near me, whic is also a halal
> butcher. I wanted to try my hand at making kofte, a traditional spicy
> Turkish meatball, so I needed ground lamb.
>
> The kofte turned out great; the recipe on the spice packet I picked up
> from my provider of Turkish cheeses called for ground beef and lamb, so
> I just wnt to my regular food store for the beef. We had kofte-burgers
> for the 4th. My husband used buns, but I ate mine without bread, with
> slices of pickled green tomatoes. We both agreed, however, that
> kofte-burgers ruled.
Sounds interesting. Since you got this from a spice packet, you  don't
have a recipe, with specific  spice amounts, do you? Anyone else?

When the Turks are thinking of "meatball" how big are they thinking of?
The usual 1 inch or so? Or something larger or smaller?
> I also want to obtain a whole leg of lamb for roasting.
If you are interested in some more lamb recipes, although probably
non-Turkish, perhaps some of the period ones in this Florilegium file
might be of interest:
lamb-mutton-msg   (89K)  9/ 4/01    Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/lamb-mutton-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas