[Sca-cooks] OOP -- Vegan chocolate truffles

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 7 07:37:35 PDT 2004

There has been a lot of discussion about the Scotch, but I wanted to
re-visit the Earth Balance spread for a minute.  I love E.B., if I'm not
using organic olive or canola oil or butter, I'm using E.B.  It spreads
well, tastes good, has no GMO's or hydrogenated veg oils.  There is one
thing you need to remember when using it however.  Since it doesn't have any
hydrog. oils in it, it uses a little saturated veg oil to stay solid, namely
palm seed oil.  Even so, it needs to stay refrigerated.  It will stay
together at room temperature, but it gets really loose in a warm room.  So,
I would say your truffles would need to stay refrigerated as well, although
there isn't that much E.B. in them, it would still be a good precaution.
Christianna

Here is my new non-dairy truffle recipe. I've specified brands because I
know they work and are dairy-free, but equivalents should work just as well.

6 oz. Ghirardelli bittersweet baking bar (1 1/2 bars) -- chopped fine
1/4 cup plain Silk soy creamer
2 tablespoons your choice of liquor or liqueur
1 tablespoon Earth Balance soy spread (equivalent of soft margarine, a
little bit salty)
1 tablespoon powdered sugar -- packed not sifted (optional)
good quality unsweetened cocoa powder

Bring water to a boil in bottom of double boiler while preparing
ingredients. Place chocolate, creamer, liquor and margarine in top of double
boiler. Remove bottom of boiler from heat, place top on bottom, and allow to
stand for 2 minutes. Stir chocolate mixture until smooth. Taste and add
sugar if desired. Chill until firm, stirring occasionally to keep the
mixture smooth. Form into small balls and roll in cocoa. Makes 16
(2-teaspoon) truffles.

If you're using a liquor like scotch (12 year old MacAllan aged in sherry,
to be precise) the sugar actually brings out the liquor flavor.

Cynara