[Sca-cooks] Seville orange substitutions

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at freescale.com
Wed Jul 14 09:25:48 PDT 2004

Micaylah commented:

Maybe its just another one of those common-here, not-common-there, sort
of things. I know I have to get my best friend Freya to pick me up
G.O.P.'s when she's playing south of the border. They are truly a
hard-to-find item here in Caldrithig, not to mention Ealdormere.
<<<
What are "G.O.P."s?

As well, we are lucky to have many middle eastern stores so that opens
up a whole other market to tap into. Its amazing what you can get in
these types of stores.
<<<

There was an interesting article in my local paper earlier this week on the rapid growth of ethnic stores, nationwide but especially in Austin. Apparently a lot of the demand is first-generation and some second-generation immigrants looking for a taste of home. I've noticed that both of my HEB groceries near me have growing ethnic food sections. Surprisingly, the one 1/2 mile from my house has a much larger section, and more Indian food, than the one between home and work the opposite direction but still only four miles away. The article did comment that the larger groceries with their more centralized distribution systems and centers, have a harder time with ethnic foods whose makeup and demand often vary greatly by neighborhood.

Now I just have to figure out how to use some of those unusual foods in the ethnic sections. In some cases, I also have to figure out what they *are*.

Stefan