[Sca-cooks] Seville orange substitutions

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Jul 14 13:11:24 PDT 2004

>What are "G.O.P."s?

My apologies. I shouldn't assume that everyone knows that G.O.P.'s are
Grains of Paradise. My bad.

>There was an interesting article in my local paper earlier
>this week on the rapid growth of ethnic stores, nationwide but
>especially in Austin. Apparently a lot of the demand is
>first-generation and some second-generation immigrants looking
>for a taste of home. I've noticed that both of my HEB
>groceries near me have growing ethnic food sections.
>Surprisingly, the one 1/2 mile from my house has a much larger
>section, and more Indian food, than the one between home and
>work the opposite direction but still only four miles away.
>The article did comment that the larger groceries with their
>more centralized distribution systems and centers, have a
>harder time with ethnic foods whose makeup and demand often
>vary greatly by neighborhood.

I don't know if its Canada or just Ottawa, but we have a large melting
pot of many many ethnic groups here in Ottawa. Makes for interesting
shopping and even better restaurant choices! lol AAMOF as I understand
it, Ottawa has the largest middle eastern population than anywhere else
in North America. This is not a recent influx, but a steadily rising
population over a time span of maybe 20 years.

In the middle eastern stores saffron is really really cheap. Maybe 5
bucks a sandwich ziplock size. Spices are found whole and always fresh
not to mention all the cool non-food things you can usually find in
these shops (ie: clothes, tea servers, brass doodads, doumbecks
sp?-maybe thinking in French etc.). You can also find reasonably priced
goat, rabbit and beef. Is this a normal occurrence in the States?

Micaylah