[Sca-cooks] tart crust question

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 18:20:54 PDT 2004

--- Sharon Gordon <gordonse at one.net> wrote:

> What's the white in the silvery cylinder on the
> left? (flour, rice, mashed
> turnips, whipped cream or ???)

It looks like salt to me.

> On the right would that be small chickens or a
> smaller bird?

It is hard to tell.  If we could get a larger
view of the picture, we _might_ be able to tell
because the feet are left on.  One is touching
that gorgeous carafe.

On top of them
> is that black olives or a blue fruit?

It is hard to tell.  Since there are olives in
the bowl just in front of the fowl, it could be
olives, but then it could also be black grapes.

 I can't
> see what the long greenish
> item just back of the birds is either.

It could just be part of the birds, or it could
be something else.  One needs a bigger look
at this to be able to distinguish what is what.

> In the glass container at the back (can't make
> out it's base) is that likely
> to be wine, vinegar, cider or something else
> given the container and color?

It looks like a wine glass to me, so it _might_
be wine.  From the look of it, it might be a
roemer wine glass.  The artist painted in what
looked to me to be an indication of a rim.

> Is there anyone on the list who studies table
> linens and could tell us about
> the one here?  It looks like a complex
> repeating pattern, but I can't make
> out the design with this monitor and
> resolution.

The tablecloth is linen damask and not
embroidered.  The artist faithfully painted in
the fold marks.  I call it a "chain mail" pattern
as there are, from what I could see, nine
distinct patterns in a round cartouche with small
links attaching each to the other.  Of the nine
that are the most visible, none appear to be
repeated, so I cannot tell what the repetition
length is.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.