[Sca-cooks] tart crust question

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Wed Jul 14 16:54:11 PDT 2004

> want to do a tart like this one:
> <http://worldart.sjsu.edu/VieO42870$10084*778063>

Wow, really pretty tart!  When you figure out how to do that design and get
it to stay even, I'd love to hear how you did it!

What's the white in the silvery cylinder on the left? (flour, rice, mashed
turnips, whipped cream or ???)

On the right would that be small chickens or a smaller bird?  On top of them
is that black olives or a blue fruit?  I can't see what the long greenish
item just back of the birds is either.

In looking at the herbs scattered about, the long dark green ones look like
rosemary leaves.  The more rounded dark green ones could be rose leaves or
bay leaves or ???  The white/pinkish item below the tart and to the left of
what looks like green olives looks like a flower petal or a clove of garlic
sliced in half.

Any ideas what the flowery herb is at the front of the table and maybe the
same thing is just behind the orange?

And then there is a sprig of something a bit more behind the orange.

In the glass container at the back (can't make out it's base) is that likely
to be wine, vinegar, cider or something else given the container and color?

>Olwen asked:
Anyone else think the smaller round item is a sandwich?

I think it would make a great sandwich.  However I don't really see any
filling.  And the design on the edges is what I get if I bake a whole pan of
small breads or rolls with the dough touching.  That piece of bread would
come from the middle of the pan, surrounded by other breads.  I don't
usually poke a hole at the top, so mine come out a bit more rounded in the
center.  So my guess is it's a yummy roll/small bread.

Is there anyone on the list who studies table linens and could tell us about
the one here?  It looks like a complex repeating pattern, but I can't make
out the design with this monitor and resolution.

Sharon
gordonse at one.net