[Sca-cooks] Stefan: Mixer/Egg Beater...

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at freescale.com
Thu Jul 15 11:25:44 PDT 2004

Phlip replied to me with:

Stefan, you're complicating things unnecessarily. Yes, you can get a major
mixer or mixmaster, and drop $150- 200 on one. Or, you can go down to
Walmart, and buy an inexpensive hand mixer for a little more than $20.
<<<
Oh! Okay. I had the impression that the hand mixers would still be in the $90 to $150 range. In that case it becomes a question of whether I should pay a bit more and get the bigger unit. Also looking at that site, I see a number of different stand mixers, including the brand I remember my mother using. From the way mixers were discussed here previously and from what I see the local feast cooks using, exclusively Kitchenaid machines, I thought they might be the only manufacturere left.

So when do you want a stand mixer and when do you want a hand mixer? If you already have a stand mixer, is one of the immersion mixers a better companion unit than a hand held?

That little thing will do pretty much anything you need, if you haven't
needed one up to this point, and if it turns out you use it enough to want a
major machine, you can get one later. At that point, you won't have wasted
$200 on a machine you may not use.
<<<
Yes, a very good point. Especially if it is $30 compared to $100. However, I just did some web searches and found that there are a number of used, new and reconditioned Kitchenaid machines available at less than the new $299 prices (and more) I was seeing. I am getting a bit confused with the variety of Kitchenaid model numbers, both current and older models. Do pretty much all the accessories work with all the machines?

I also see two types, those that tilt up and those that have the arms which lock the bowl in place. When do you want each type? The heavier duty, "commercial" models do seem to be the type that don't tilt up. Perhaps one of the mid or low end models would do all I need. If I don't just do as Phlip suggests and go get a simple hand held mixer.

Stefan